Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Randomness & The Christmas Challenge Week # 3!

Yesterday and today have done wonders for bringing my confidence back! I'm absolutely amazed that after doing a little reflection on last week, it's so easy to see all the areas where I went wrong! I was eating so many "empty" points. WW Cakes everyday, high sugar cereal, popcorn every night. Yikes! No wonder I wasn't losing. Also the little problem called...WEEKENDS! I seem to lose my restraint on the weekends and last weekend was no exception ladies. I ate more chocolate than I even care to think about and that was on top of the 3 pieces of pumpkin pie, the multiple cups of chocolate frozen yogurt and the Tbsp upon Tbsp of whipped cream! I'm the first to admit that I used the Holiday as an excuse to let loose and eat whatever I wanted. But you know what? I would have felt much better about myself if I'd only had one small piece of pumpkin pie and a little low fat whipped cream. I only ate the extra piece because I'd already given myself permission to eat it since it was "The Holiday". I didn't need it and I didn't even really want it. I only ate it because I could. And if I don't eat it now than who knows when the next time will be that I can have a big ol piece of guilt free pumpkin pie. Except it's not guilt free, I've just convinced myself it is. You girls know what I mean? Such self destructive behavior. I think I'm starting to realize that Weight Watchers isn't all about counting your points, it's about making the right decision for YOU, not for the plan.


So I'm on the right track. Yesterday & Monday I stayed away from foods with little to no nutritional value and tried to stick with lots of veggies and fruits. Although last night I did indulge in a low fat Nestle Hot Chocolate. It was one of those cold nights when you're cuddled up with your hubby on the couch and you just need something warm and cozy. Well that was it for me. At least it was a low fat variety and was only 1 point. I had a supper that was pretty high in fiber and protein so I wasn't hungry and the hot chocolate was my only after dinner snack.

On to the Christmas Challenge! Congrats to those of you who lost last week. A huge CONGRATS to Bridget, Candace, Dizzy, Glossy and Hazel who are all over 30% of their goal! That is great!! You guys are definitely a great motivator! We can do this girls!

Ok so it's my week for the challenge this week and I've been thinking...since we are all approaching the Holiday season, we should really be thinking of great ways to get through the season and still achieve our goals. I don't know about you girls but I always find the fall and winter to be the hardest. It's cold out, it's snowing, your snowed in. What better way to pass the time than to eat eat eat?? Of course the biggest problem for the holidays is the food. More importantly, not for all of us but for most...it's DESSERT! That dreaded dessert! I was thinking that we could share recipes that will help get us through this difficult season. Doesn't have to be a dessert recipe, could be for a casserole, a side dish, a salad. Anything that helps you get through the big Holiday dinners, the Christmas baked goods, the office Holiday lunches. So bring on the recipes Christmas Challengers! E-mail me your favorite holiday, or non-holiday recipe! What gets you through the holidays?


Here is one I received from Christy and it looks absolutely delish! Thanks Christy!


Ingredients
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 8oz carton lemon yogurt (I used Source Fat free Lemon Meringue, about 1/3 of the big container)
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 tub low fat whipped topping, thawed
1 angel food cake, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries


Directions

In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, yogurt, lemon juice, and peel. Fold in 2 cups of the whipped topping. In a 3 qt trifle bowl or deep salad bowl, layer a third of the cake, a third of the lemon mixture and all the strawberries. Repeat cake and lemon mixture layers. Top with blueberries. Repeat cake and lemon mixture. Top with all the raspberries. Spread remaining whipped topping over raspberries; sprinkle more lemon zest (the recipe called for toasted almonds.. but I left them out) Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

Also, Anne has just posted a recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bran Muffins and they are only 1 point per muffin!! Check it out at her post here. Thanks for the great recipe Anne!


Sounds so yummy! Who's got a recipe for me to post tomorrow??? E-mail it along with your WI results for Week 3 of the Christmas Challenge if you've already weighed in this week!

7 comments:

  1. I might add.. Christy got that recipe from moi! :)

    Its sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a 1 Point Cupcake Recipe:

    1 Point Cupcakes
    Ingredients
    1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    3 items egg white(s)
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cup SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener
    4 Tbsp Unsweetened Apple Sauce
    12 fl oz Coca-Cola Diet Coke
    3/4 cup water hot
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp table salt

    Instructions
    Grease 9X13 pan. Mix all dry ingredients together. Then all wet except for 3/4 cup hot water. Then add together and slowly stir in hot water. Do not over mix. Batter will be super thin. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 mins. or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 mins. then cut into 12 pieces. Each piece= 1 point!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Amy when it started to sound like a trifle! lol funny!

    Mandy's had that Choc Chip Banana Bran recipe posted for eons and they were a staple for a long time. I'm due to make another batch me thinks. They are decadent if you add a dolop of Betty Crocker choc fudge icing for an extra point too.

    At first I was thinking "Christmas already!" but you are sooooooooo right! We gotta get on this NOW so we're well prepared and not as anxious about giving into the dumptrucks of sugar and fat that surrounds you everywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job on staying on track. The weekends are always the hardest for me also. Recently moved my weigh in to monday morning as a little more incentive not to blow a great week of hardwork on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - I did say on my site it was from you :)

    And Carolyn - I think that's why I've been successful this time round, is trying to cut out as many empty calories as possible!!!

    Love your attitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. I love the fact that on WW I can eat anything as long as it fits into my daily points. But I do feel better when I use those points for good things.

    You are just so very close, girl. I hope this Christmas Challenge gets us both to where we intend to stay!

    ReplyDelete

Bring on the comments!